Behold The Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
This book is a novel about an immigrant family from Cameroon. I won't tell you the plot because it is a good read and I don't want to spoil it. There are surprises. But the story touches on many subjects including immigration, poverty, the status of women and the American Dream. The author was herself an immigrant.
1. What attracts immigrants to America?
2. How did Winston attain his position?
3. How did support groups, family and friends, differ for the Jonga's and the Edward's?
4. How do Jende and Neni feel about home?
5. Was Neni changed by her experiences in America?
6. Did Jende go home in defeat?
7. What does Vince Edwards represent?
8. According to this story, how are women treated?
9. How does Clark Edwards change over the course of events in this story?
10. What did you think of Bubakar?
11. What role did race play in this story?
12. What do you think of immigration?
13. Is having a dream good or bad?