Hoping For More by Deanna A. Thompson
This book is mainly about 6 months in the life of a woman with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer; the time from the diagnosis to remission. She didn't know she had breast cancer - mammograms missed the tumor twice. It was discovered when pain in her back lead to the diagnoses. There followed radiation, chemotherapy and many visits with the doctors. Following the treatment, she was in remission.
This book would be helpful to people facing such a diagnosis and their loved ones because it gives a detailed account of the medical procedures. The author is a Professor of Religion. In the book she also reflects on suffering, God's role in her illness, etc. She was very lucky. She had a great support system and that helped a lot. And she experienced remission, which is the hoped for outcome; there is no cure. Hence the title.
1. What is metastatic?
2. What is Stage 4?
3. What is CaringBridge?
4. What does the author have to say about the church universal?
5. Did the author ever experience despair?
6. Did her husband?
7. What kinds of support did she receive?
8. What is the story of the delivery of meals?
9. How does this story speak to the acceptance of grace?